YOU ARE Invited
2018 Fundraiser: Let's Talk about Love
SAWA is hosting its annual fundraiser/awareness event on April 29, 2018 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Hannah Community Center in East Lansing, MI.
This event will consist of a screening of ‘Sisak’ - India's first award-winning silent LGBTQ film. The film's Director, Faraz Arif Ansari, has won the prestigious Humanitarian Award for Outstanding Achievement at the Best Shorts Competition, which is the film's 38th international award. Three prominent LGBTQ activists (from India and from Chicago) will discuss the film and speak to the experiences of South Asians as well as South Asian diaspora in North America.
Check out the event flyer and RSVP on the event's Facebook page or by emailing email@example.com
Our sincere thanks for the generous support from the Sponsors of our Spring 2018 Event:
1) The Law Firm of Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, P.L.C.
2) Lansing Board of Water and Light
3) Michigan State University Asian Studies Center
4) Michigan State University India Council
5) Michigan State University Muslim Studies Center
6) Michigan State University Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives
7) Michigan State University Office of Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
8) Krishna Catering & Restaurant, 29206 Orchard Lake Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
9) Sree Saffron Indian Restaurant, 4750 Hagadorn Road, Suite 60, East Lansing, MI 48823
10) Ozzy's Kabob, 3536 Meridian Crossings Drive #260, Okemos, MI 48864
11) Aladdin's Restaurant, 300 N Clippert Street, Lansing, MI 48912
12) Sindhu Indian Cuisine, 4750 Hagadorn Road, Suite 132, East Lansing, MI 48823
Na Maloom Afraad (Unknown People) 2016
2016 Muslim Cultures in South Asian Cinema. The film series is presented by Jyotsna Singh, Swarnavel Pillai, Karin Zitzewitz, Sean Pue, and Rajiv Ranjan. Films begin at 6 p.m. and end at approximately 8 p.m.
Na Maloom Afraad is a comedy thriller that is filmed mainly in Saddar Town. Na Maloom is one of few films developed only in Pakistan. The story is about three poor individuals struggling to become rich with sometimes questionable moral ways.
Spring Festivities of South Asia